After SXSW I started to think about the growth of Austin, TX and how it reminds me of when I lived in Philadelphia, PA. South East Austin as well as just East Austin is going through a huge change in housing. Once these areas were very Ghetto and now are becoming the “Hip” place to live.
There are lots and lots of people, most of which grew up in a some what good town. Not to bash on the middle class but all the kids that are now grown up are moving into places that may not be safe but are cheap. I am one of them and I remember living in Philly and seeing Ghettos get pushed back in wake of all the new people that wanted to live in the city for a cheap price. It was perfect for College students and people that just got bored with the suburbs and country.
The same thing is happening here in Austin, Tx, where there are so many people that want to be here but don’t want to pay the price. They get a place that is relatively cheap but don’t consider how sketchy the area is. Is this a bad thing? I personally don’t think so but it is causing extremely lower class citizens to not have what they use too.
The best part about all of this is that most of my generation is trying to live in cities and not finding homes and settling down. This is whats causing these once bad areas to become livable, but at a price. Areas that were once considered Ghettos are now a great place to live and clean. Though at the same time those people that were pushed out are now angry at the new comers and condensed into pockets of crime and still live right down the street.
In the end I don’t know what is worse. Pushing people out of their communities so that a new breed can take over or people not exploring new things. I love what I have seen in life but at the same time have caused apartment rates to go up in less expensive areas due to who I am. This is one of those things that is a double edge sword and all you can do is watch.
- Johnston Square November 21, 2013
- Sparrows Point November 19, 2013
- It’s Cold Outside November 13, 2013
- Photo Planet November 6, 2013
- Fall in Baltimore October 29, 2013
- Attempted Abandoned Asylum Visit October 29, 2013
- Oh Right I Forgot… October 3, 2013
- Maryland State Fair September 2, 2013
- Scapescape 2013 Day 2 August 31, 2013
- Scapescape 2013 Day 1 August 31, 2013
- Middle Branch Baltimore MD August 28, 2013
- The Windup Space August 25, 2013
- Druid Hill Park Sunset August 18, 2013
- Slammin & Jammin 2013 Skate Park Fundraiser August 10, 2013
- Metro Gallery Baltimore August 3, 2013
- First Thursdays in Mt Vernon August 2, 2013
- New York City July 31, 2013
- Artscape 2013 July 22, 2013
- Rainy Summer Days July 14, 2013
- From Rural to Urban July 10, 2013
- My New Home June 26, 2013
- Leaving the Country June 19, 2013
- Moving On June 16, 2013
- Jarrettsville Carnival June 6, 2013
- Abandon House Exploring 101 May 27, 2013
- Keep On Going May 26, 2013
- Remnants Of Our Past April 30, 2013
- Here and There April 30, 2013
- Harford County Maryland April 9, 2013
- Whirlpool Canyon Falls PA April 6, 2013
- Spring is in the Air April 4, 2013
- Dilapidated Barn Revisited March 17, 2013
- Pollution March 17, 2013
- Color or No Color March 10, 2013
- Dilapidated Barn March 4, 2013
- Still Life February 23, 2013
- Corn Fields February 20, 2013
- Falling Branch Revisited February 19, 2013
- Golden Hour February 6, 2013
- Mega Pizza Post January 24, 2013
- Go Ravens! January 16, 2013
- Chicken Pot Pie January 10, 2013
- Playoffs in Baltimore January 7, 2013
- Bridges, Trees and Waterfalls December 19, 2012
- HDR Photography December 19, 2012
- Great Falls National Park December 5, 2012
- There and Back Again November 17, 2012
- Pedernales Falls September 15, 2012
- Hot Sauce Fest 2012 August 28, 2012
- Mustang Island, TX August 22, 2012
34th Street Baltimore, MD
It may still be fall and it may be 50 degrees outside but it looks like winter out there.
Crazy how Apple is even in skate mags these days.
Mobile home with no property tax. Damn the homeless have it all figured out.
Someone was drinking a Steel by the pool that was filled in with dirt. Gotta live the dream even if you have no dreams.